Garmin GPS is a versatile range of portable navigation devices designed by Garmin Ltd. For example, Garmin DriveSmart 51, Garmin DriveSmart 60, Garmin Drive 50, Garmin Zumo etc. These are insanely useful and intuitive devices that uses the innovative GPS technology for navigation. They ensure safe, congestion free and delightful experience while on the go. However, these stunning devices are effective only when they are up to date with ever changing maps and software. In order to enjoy their optimum potential, you must regularly update Garmin GPS devices.
How to Update Garmin GPS?
Although, updating Garmin GPS may appear as a complicated and tedious task. After all, you must update Garmin GPS regularly without any delays. Additionally, it may require a lot of technical know-how. On the contrary, it is an extremely simple and convenient process. It is designed with a view to accommodate even the most technically ignorant user.
In order to update Garmin GPS, you need to follow the below mentioned steps.
Step 1: Install Garmin Express
The very first step requires you to get the Garmin Express application on your computer or laptop.
- Access Website: First and foremost, you are required to access the official Garmin Express website. In other words, you should open your internet browser. Then, go to the required website using the url: www.garmin.com/en-US/software/express/.
- Download: Then, download the setup file specified for your Operating System. That means, click on “Download for Windows” tab if using a Windows based PC. Else, you should click on “Download for Mac”. Consequently, the required setup file will be downloaded to your system.
- Install: Subsequently, you should install the downloaded application. For this, double-click the setup file to open the installer. Here, you must note that you will find the setup files in your system’s default download location. The Installer is a user-friendly wizard that will help you with the process. Hence, simply follow the on-screen instructions that will lead you to the “Install” window. Now, check the box besides “ I have read and agreed to the terms and conditions”. Finally, click on “Install”. Then, click “Yes” when prompted.
- Restart: At last, restart your computer to ensure that the installation completes successfully.
Step 2: Connect Garmin GPS to the Computer
The second step involves connecting your Garmin GPS device to your computer.
- Firstly, you should dismantle the device from your automobile i.e. your car, truck, or motorcycle.
- Now, you should turn it on. This is because Garmin express will not be able to recognise it if it’s turned off.
- Thereafter, hook it up to your computer using the mini USB cable that comes with the device.
- Subsequently, wait while the progress bar scrolls.
- Now, open the installed Garmin express application. For this, double-click on the respective icon.
- Consequently, you will get the welcome window of the user interface. Here, click on “Get Started”.
- Subsequent window will prompt you to add your device. Hence, click on “Add a Device” tab located at the top left hand side of the window.
- Finally, click on “Add Device” when prompted. This will locate your GPS device and connect it.
- Thereafter, follow on-screen instructions to complete the connection.
Step 3: Update Garmin GPS
This is the final step in order to update Garmin GPS. In other words, you are required to install all the available updates for your Garmin GPS device.
- The last step will lead you to the dashboard of Garmin express.
- The application will automatically detect all the available updates for the connected device.
- Consequently, it will display a list of all the updates.
- Finally, click on “Install All” or “Select All” as different devices will provide different options.
- As a result, the application will update Garmin GPS.
- This might take a lot of time depending upon the speed of your internet connection. Hence, wait while ensuring the device stays connected to the system, Meanwhile, keep your system free to speed up the process.
- Finally, you will be notified about successful installation of updates. Subsequently, you will get a messaging confirming it safe to remove your GPS device. Hence, unplug the device only after this message.
In this way, you can update Garmin GPS very easily. Another key point to remember is that you have to follow the entire procedure just for the first time update. Latter on, it gets further simple. You just need to open the Garmin express application. Then, connect the GPS device to your computer while ensuring it is turned on. The application will automatically locate the device and detect all the available updates. Finally, you should click on Install All to initiate the process. Then, simply wait for it to complete.